Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Congress Gets Ready to Quadruple Tax on Oil

Taken from FoxNews.com

OK, so I am all for cleaing up the oil spill, its mess it left behing, cleaning the enviroment as we DO need to be good stewards. However, I think this is ridiculous. Normally, I don't comment on secular things like this, but this caught my attention. So now (or should I say again) the private citizen will be paying for a private company's cleanup.

President Barack Obama and congressional leaders have said they expect BP to foot the bill for the cleanup. OK, so why this article then...why even bring it up?

"Taxpayers will not pick up the tab," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said Monday. Oh, I bet we will in the end....no pun intended.

BP executives told Congress last week they would pay "all legitimate claims" for damages. But the government needs upfront money to respond to spills, as well as money to pay for cleanups when the responsible party is unable to pay, or is unknown. Money spent from the fund can later be recovered from the company responsible for the spill.

What, why, who, when? Did I miss something? I break something and then get to tell the government THEY need to clean it up.....WHAT!!

Enough about my rants, here is the whole story should you need something to read.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/25/congress-gets-ready-quadruple-tax-oil/

No comments:

Post a Comment